Skip to main content

Meet ALLA(WA): Anne

Meet ALLA(WA) members through our "this is how I work" series. If you would like to be profiled, please contact us at allawablog@gmail.com.


I'm Anne Young, and this is how I work.


Current gig: Knowledge Management Librarian (Litigation and Regulatory) at DLA Piper. I am the only librarian in the Perth office, but have colleagues nationally and we work closely as a team.

One word that best describes how you work: Distractedly. I like the fact that library work, by virtue of interruptions to do research and answer queries, breaks up the more routine tasks - which in turn can act as a soothing job when your brain has been working hard.

What’s your workplace setup like? I have a very small office that tapers behind the best at my back to a triangular point. It is the first time in my life I've had an office with a door, but I keep it open except when on phone calls/meetings

What apps, software, or tools do you love for legal research or general productivity? For legal research, I have been enjoying getting to know Jade Professional. I find it particularly satisfying that you can set up alerts for a range of sections of legislation. I also really like the search results on the new Westlaw Next - you can search on terms A, B and C, but just look at the results for B, or Just B & C (and they are colour coded). Like most of us, I use LexisNexis a lot too, and feel like it gives the highest odds of finding something on an obscure topic.

I use my email (Outlook at work, Gmail at home) a lot. I love the fact that it is so searchable so I don't have a lot of different folders. If I want to remember something, sometimes I'll just email it to myself, sometimes adding searchable terms to make it easier to retrieve. Outlook calendar is very useful as a reminder.

That said, I still like to have pen and paper in a nice big lined notebook, and write out a physical to-do list.

What’s your best time-saving shortcut or life hack? At the moment I'm very enthusiastic about riding my bike to work. I love the opportunity to clear my mind, be outdoors, do exercise and save money on bus fares.

My husband and I have found the app Our Groceries very handy in our busy life. I plan the menus and do the main food shopping, while he does at least half the cooking and any extra shopping. Having a synchronised list between our phones is very handy. I also used it to keep track of Christmas and birthday present suggestions!

What are you currently reading for work or for fun? I really enjoyed watching the recent ABC series "The Beautiful Lie" which was based on the classic Russian novel Anna Karenina, by Tolstoy, so I'm revisiting this book, which I first read as part of an English Unit in second year uni. It is free on kindle, which is helpful for bus reading.

I'm also reading The Book that Made Your World: How the Bible Created the Soul of Western Civilization by Vishal Mangalwadi, which I am finding fascinating, particularly because it was written by a non-westerner, from India. Oh and Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T S Eliot, which I found while tidying up my books over the summer break.

I am challenging myself to read at least 50 books this year, from a range of genres.

What’s the best professional advice you’ve ever received? From my Dad - to go into the library profession. I was trying to decide between studying that, and town planning, after doing honours in History as an undergraduate. He said that despite my interest in cultural heritage and inner city revitalization, I'd probably spend my time approving extensions, etc! I have never regretted following his advice, and my background in history has been very helpful to understanding the importance of chronology in law.

I also really value the example of Margaret Quill, who was my library manager at Clayton Utz when I first started working in law. She was very skilled technically, was a thoughtful manager, had great customer service standards and a very polite yet feisty advocate for her library. Within my first week on the job she was making me mention the need for better library accommodation to partners!

I’m passionate about…. Helping people find the information what they want. (even if it isn't quite what they asked for) Outside of work, I enjoy reading (I read a lot to my children too), running (love Parkruns) and helping with ministry with young women in my church.

Comments

  1. Congratulations to the Committee on this fresh initiative. Anne was the perfect choice to kick it off. It is so valuable to gain insight into the lives and interests of our colleagues, away from the workplace. More, please. (By the way, that does not mean that I will volunteer to be profiled...I am too shy!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping Up With ALLA (WA) News

In March 2023 we announced the  closure of the Allgwa list , and welcomed the arrival of the  ALLA (WA) Google Group .  To take full advantage of the Google Group - particularly the ability to deliver news directly to your inbox - the ALLA (WA) Committee has made the decision to cease posting to the ALLA (WA) Blog.  ALLA (WA) Members are encouraged to join the Google Group to make sure they don’t miss out on key news, events, job opportunities from the committee and our members.  Over the past twelve and a half years we've have over 208636 visitors (and still counting) to the ALLA (WA) Blog, from all over the world. We thank all of our readers who have supported the blog. We especially thank all of our blog editors and contributors who have volunteered their time, skill and knowledge to develop this resource. The ALLA (WA) Blog will continue to be available in an archive format. We look forward to using the ALLA (WA) Google Group to share information, foster collegiali

ALLA National Board - Nominations Open

ALLA members would have received an email from Emma Joneshart, President of ALLA Ltd regarding a call for nominations for members to join the ALLA Ltd Board of Directors. Nominations will be voted upon at the ALLA AGM, held on Thursday 23 September during the ALLA Virtual Conference 2021 . The ALLA Ltd Board of Directors is an important part of the Australian Law Librarians' Association's governance. Made up of at least eight members of ALLA, nominations are open for the following positions:  Vice President Secretary Treasurer Vendor Relations CPD Coordinator General Directors The Vice President position is for a term of 3 years, consisting of a year each as Vice President, President and Past President. The other positions are for a 2-year term, allowing for a sufficient time period to become familiar with the role and have meaningful impact on ALLA projects.  Each role is varied, with support from other members of the Board, and in addition to monthly meetings (mainly via tel

Information Professionals Photo Event

Attention Information Professionals in Western Australia! You are invited to participate in the 2016 historic group photograph of ‘ Information Professionals in WA’ - the first event of its kind in Western Australia. The concept: It is hoped that the Information Professionals in WA event will bring together information professionals from all industries and sectors, including librarians, library technicians and officers and records professionals, etc.  The event aims to: Provide a n unique photo opportunity to capture the library and information industry in WA collectively, and also provide an option to capture each association and group individually. Facilitate a networking opportunity and encourage information groups and associations to work collaboratively in the future. Promote the differences and commonalities between specific groups and associations. Provide the opportunity for the images to be published in industry journals, websites and blogs,